I’ve been posting main dishes for the past few weeks and it’s good time to take a break. If you are tired of regular coleslaw, how about trying out Asian style coleslaw? I named it “Asian” because I needed to differentiate this from my regular coleslaw recipe and ingredients include cilantro and sesame oil.
The original recipe was from my Japanese friend who lives in Southern California. Ever since I made this salad for the first time, my family prefers this coleslaw over my “western” one. I was especially in shock when I first saw my son enjoying raw cabbage! He never ate raw cabbage… Every time I make this salad, he always finishes it without complaints, and now my daughter who likes to copy him all the time is also eating raw cabbage! If your child does not like raw vegetable, give this recipe a try. Maybe they’ll like it. Thanks Minako-san!
- ½-1 cabbage, julienned or shredded
- ½-1 carrot, shredded
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. white sesame seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for dressing and mix well.
- Add all vegetables in the bowl and refrigerate at least for 1 hour.