My husband has traveled out of town for a few days now and he won’t be back for another week. Days like this I prefer cooking meals that do not require tedious food preparation. After all this is my little break from cooking multi-dish dinners! The kids and I have been eating one plate/bowl meals like soups, pasta and Japanese rice bowls (donburi) such Easy Tuna Bowl (Tekkadon).
Since the main ingredient of this dish is the tuna, I hope you can buy good quality sushi/sashimi-grade tuna from a Japanese grocery store. You can buy a block of tuna and slice into thin pieces yourself for this recipe (use a very sharp knife to cut sashimi). For today, I bought pre-cut tuna pieces called Maguro Butsugiri (chopped tuna). Usually this part of tuna doesn’t look pretty enough to be used as sushi or sashimi. However, it’s just as tasty and more economical.
The best part is that it’s not only easy to makes since there is no actual “cooking” involved, but it’s really delicious and quite filling. My children prefer salmon so I prepare Salmon and Ikura Don for them.
If you are not a fan of raw fish then you can make other easy Rice Bowl dishes for quick dinner meals. So far on the blog, I have shared:
Unagi Don (Unadon)
Kakiage Don (Tempura Don)
Chicken Katsu Don
Pork Curry Don
Teriyaki Pork Loin Salad Donburi
Beef Donburi with Shiso Garlic Soy Sauce
Soboro Don (Ground Chicken Bowl)
Eggplant & Unagi Donburi
Crispy Tonkatsu Donburi
Oyakodon (Chicken & Egg Bowl)
Gyudon (Beef Bowl)
Chinese Style Karaage Don
Hope you enjoy easy Rice Bowl (donburi) dishes. Have a wonderful week!
- 1/4 lb (110 g) sashimi-grade tuna (maguro), thinly sliced or cut into small cubes/chunks
- 1 – 1 ½ cup cooked rice
- 1 scallion
- Roasted white sesame seeds
- Thin strips of nori (dried seaweed sheets) (Kizami Nori)
- 5 shiso leaves
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. mirin
- 1 tsp. sake
- In a bowl marinade the tuna with the seasonings for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the tuna on top of steamed rice that has been cooled down for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped scallions, shredded nori seaweed, and roasted white sesame seeds. You can put julienned shiso leaves on top (optional). Serve immediately.