It’s been one week since magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami hit northeastern Japan. As the struggle with the nuclear reactors continues, it overshadows the news of people in the region needing emergency supplies and medical care. I placed the banner for donating to Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami fund to help raise additional funds for delivering goods and services to those in need. Thank you for your support.
Did you enjoy the taste of Ketchup while growing up? I don’t remember if I liked Ketchup as much as my kids love it now. My husband loves Ketchup because it reminds him of his happy childhood eating corn dog smeared in Ketchup or having Ketchup fried rice for dinner. If there is something my kids refused to eat, I sometimes give them the option of dipping in Ketchup. They will eat it right away. What a magical condiment! So today, I will share a stir-fried recipe with Ketchup. Don’t worry – the amount of Ketchup is not so overwhelming. If my kids weren’t that crazy with Ketchup, I wouldn’t have known tobanjang and Ketchup is an amazing match. I hope you and your kids enjoy this sauce.
- 2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 egg, beaten, a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 10 Shrimp, deveined, insert a knife in the back of shrimp so this area will start to curl with heat.
- 1 tsp. Tobanjang (doubanjiang)
- 2 Tbsp. Ketchup
- Freshly ground black peppe
- Cut celery in half lengthwise, and slice diagonally.
- In a wok, heat 2 Tbsp. sesame oil on high heat. When you start to see smoke coming from the oil, pour egg and turn off heat.
- With remaining heat, make fluffy eggs with chopsticks. Wait a little bit until outer layer start to cook.
- Fold the egg in from outer layer.
- Transfer to a plate when the egg is almost cooked.
- In the same wok, add 1 Tbsp. sesame oil on high heat and cook shrimp. When it starts to curl up, add tobanjang and mix well.
- Add celery and stir-fry. Do not over cook as it tastes better when celery still has a little bit of crunchy texture. Then add Ketchup and mix well.
- Add the egg back in and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Note: The picture shows double amount of this recipe.