Here are the directions to properly make Japanese rice using a rice cooker. If you need to make Sushi Rice to make sushi, click here to get the recipe.
- 3 rice cooker cups* (540ml) of uncooked Japanese premium short grain rice
- In a large bowl (DO NOT use rice cooker’s bowl), put 3 cups of uncooked Japanese rice. Pour cold water until it covers the rice. Immediately dispose the water to purge dirty particles because rice absorbs water very quickly when you start washing. Repeat 1-2 times.
- Now use your fingers to gently wash the rice by moving in circular motion for 10 times.
- Then pour cold water until it covers the rice and quickly discard the water again. Repeat this process about 3-4 times.
- By this time water should be half-translucent*. Transfer the rice into a sieve and set aside for 30 minutes. * Unlike old days, rice is now milled very well so it’s recommended not to continue washing until the water is clear.
- Now transfer the rice into the rice cooker bowl. Add cold water (good water) until 3 cups for White Rice. And then start cooking (I use "softer" option as regular is too hard for our liking).
* We use this rice cooker.
* A rice cooker cup is not same as 1 US cup. 1 rice cooker cup is 180 ml.