Here is the simple instruction on how to slice Tokyo Negi (Japanese long green onion) into Shiraga Negi (thin strips) for garnishing as you see in the picture above.
- Cut the white part of Tokyo Negi into 2 inch lengths and make an incision lengthwise.
- Remove the soft green core. Keep the soft green core for other cooking.
- Stack up the white part of Tokyo Negi.
- Cut the white part thinly into ulienne strips.
- If you want to make Shiraga Negi curly, soak them in cold water for 10 minutes and drain well. Now it's ready for garnishing.