I’ve always loved ice cream and after I started making my own ice cream at home, I have created a ridiculously long list of ice cream flavors that I plan to make. Coffee Ice Cream was one of the flavors on the list and oh my, I can say this is a really delicious coffee ice cream recipe.
I love eating coffee desserts as much as drinking coffee so when I saw the coffee ice cream recipe on Carol’s A Cup of Mascapone, I knew I had to give it a try. After making and trying the ice cream recipe, I have to say this turned out to be the perfect coffee ice cream that I dreamed of.
The recipes requires some patience since coffee beans have to be infused for some time, but I think that’s the secret why this ice cream is so good! I hope you enjoy this coffee ice cream as much as I did!
- 1½ cups (375 ml) whole milk
- ¾ cup (167 ml) sugar
- 1½ cups (125 g) whole coffee beans*
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cups (375 ml) heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. finely ground coffee
- Heat the milk, sugar, whole coffee bean, salt and ½ cup (125 ml) of the heavy cream in a medium saucepan until it’s warm and steamy, but NOT boiling. Once the mixture is warm, turn off the heat and cover. Remove from the heat and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Reheat the coffee-infused milk mixture on medium heat, until again hot and steamy but NOT boiling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the warm coffee mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly so that the yolks are tempered by the warm milk, but not cooked by it.
- Transfer the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with plastic spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. DO NOT OVERCOOK (Eggs will be scrambled if you do). This can take about 10 minutes.
- Pour remaining 1 cup (250ml) of heavy cream into a medium size glass bowl, set on ice over a larger bowl.
- Set a mesh strainer on top of the ice bathed heavy cream bowl and pour the warm egg yolk mixture into the heavy cream. Press on the coffee beans in the strainer to extract as much of the coffee flavor as possible, then discard the beans. Mixed in the vanilla and the finely grated ground coffee. Stir until cool over the ice bath and chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Pour the mixture into ice cream maker and process the mixture in the ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions (usually about 25 minutes).
- Pour into an airtight container and freeze until firm.