Updated: The recipe and photographs updated in February, 2013.
A typical Inari Sushi (稲荷寿司, いなり寿司) is made of sushi rice wrapped inside the seasoned deep-fried tofu pockets called “Inari Age” (pronounce it like E-nari-Ah-geh). Both my mother and grandmother made that way and that’s how I used to make.
Last year I discovered another way to make Inari Sushi. Since I love shiso (perilla) as an ingredient, I wrapped sushi rice with shiso leaf and seasoned nori (seaweed) before putting into inari-age. It was really, really good! Since then, my go-to Inari Sushi always includes shiso leaf and seasoned nori.
If you want to make your Inari Sushi prettier, flip upside down and show the rice. Tuck in the edge of inari-age inside the bag, so it will have round smooth edge. You can decorate the top with Kinshi Tamago (shredded egg crepe garnish) or any toppings you like.
I hope you try adding shiso and nori next time when you prepare Inari Sushi. I usually make sushi rice from scratch, but keeping a bottle of Sushi Seasoning in the refrigerator can be very convenient when you just need a small amount of sushi rice. Enjoy!
- 3 cup cooked sushi rice (1 cup for approx 4 Inari Sushi)
- 1 Tbsp. roasted white sesame seeds
- 12 Inari-Age (seasoned deep-fried tofu pockets) (For homemade Inari Age recipe, click HERE).)
- The cooking liquid from Inari Age
- 12 shiso leaves
- 12 seasoned nori seaweed
- Sushi ginger (gari) for garnish
- Prepare sushi rice.
- Add sesame seeds and mix together.
- Open the Inari-Age pocket so you can put rice all the way in.
- Moisten hands with the liquid from Inari-Age. Take a small handful of rice and make a small rice ball. Do not make it too big otherwise it won't fit in Inari-Age.
- Wrap each rice ball with shiso and a piece of nori and stuff the rice ball into the Inari-Age. Close the Inari-Age and place open-end down on a plate
- Another method is to keep the bag open on top. Wrap each rice ball with a piece of nori and stuff the rice ball into the Inari-Age. Then place shiso on top.
- Tuck in the edge of Inari-Age inside the pocket so you will have nice smooth round edge. You can decorate the top as you like.
- Serve with sushi ginger.