Japanese use sliced meat for a lot of dishes, and we like to roll other ingredients with the sliced meat. We get creative with ingredients and sauce and make different recipes. Here, I roll mashed potato with sliced pork.
- 3/4 lb. (340 g) thinly sliced pork loin
- 1 large potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. sake
- In a saucepan, put the potatoes and cover them with water. Boil until skewer inserts easily. Drain the hot water and mash potatoes in the pan. Add salt, pepper, butter, and green onions. Mix all together.
- Take a small portion of mashed potato and squeeze a little bit to put it together. Place the mashed potato at the edge of sliced pork and roll it.
- Prepare seasonings in a small bowl. In a non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. When it’s hot, place the pork rolls in the pan, seal side bottom. Cook until all sides are nicely browned.
- Pour seasonings and coat the meat with sauce by shaking the pan. Transfer to a plate and pour the sauce on top. Serve immediately.