Unagi Chazuke is one of my husband’s favorite dishes. Before we were married, the only unagi dish he knew was Unagi Don (Unadon/Broiled Eel over Rice). After I served the Unagi Chazuke to him the first time, he loved it so much that he only requests this dish whenever we have unagi.
We had many Western style meals over the holidays, so it was nice to have a Japanese dish again. If you have tried Unadon and liked it, I hope you give this a try next time!
- Cut Unagi in half (or maybe third) to fit inside your serving bowls. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush oil lightly (I use spray oil). Place unagi on top.
- WITHOUT preheat, put the baking sheet in the MIDDLE rack of your oven, and broil on high for 7 minutes (no need to flip).
- After 7 minutes or so, take it out and brush the Unagi Sauce over.
- Continue to broil for another 30 seconds to 60 seconds until you see bubbles on top of Unagi.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, combine dashi stock and konbucha and mix well.
- Serve rice in a bowl and pour or brush Unagi Sauce on the rice. You can cut Unagi into 1 inch pieces (optional – easier to eat with chopsticks) and put on top of rice. Pour/brush more Unagi Sauce.
- Right before you serve, pour the dashi/konbucha soup on top of Unagi and garnish with green onions, mitsuba and sesame seeds.